Saturday, February 15, 2014

Week Four Reading

Communicating Through Inexpressiveness
Lorna Simpson
262-267

This is the first chapter that I've read that I've really had a problem with.
The author tries to make the point that "Lorna Simpson demonstrates that artists are not obliged to express attitudes" but then goes on to describe the attitude of the photographs? By making the photographs black and white instead of color she is still setting a mood, an attitude. I guess mostly I just had a problem because I feel like most of the reading was trying to defend that original statement, but by doing so all it did was prove that Simpson still made necessary stylistic choices that every artist has to make, and in doing that, she still puts an attitude in her photographs. Every artist does that at least a little bit, I feel like it's inevitable. I just felt like the entire reading was constantly contradicting itself, even throughout into the last paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment