Friday, February 21, 2014

Week Five Response

94-101
Imposing Corporal Punishment
Arnaldo Morales

"Miraculously, Arnaldo Morales's brain did not explode after an attacker held a loaded gun to his head and fired." EXCUSE ME WHAT? I immediately stopped and knew that this was the reading for the week after this sentence. I get a little confused reading this in the beginning, because he talks about being more responsible with life...but he moves into a violent neighborhood to study these people? Isn't that a little contradictory? (I do think it's super cool what he did, though. The whole anthropologist/artist lifestyle. I would love to do something like that. But I'm a white female.) I love the concepts behind his sculptures. I like how his studio is described more as a laboratory of a mad inventor. This entire section just made me see the connection between art and science and anthropology even more, all things that I am interested in personally. This artist used his experience to bring psychology and art closer together, but they are already so intertwined. He is highlighting this aspect, that science/psychology and art go together so well. Human experiences and reactions are linked to art, so he literally made it a part of his art. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment