Friday, January 31, 2014

Week Two: Reading Response

(In The Making)
Relating to the Audience
Eliciting Secrets-Gillian Wearing
pgs 110-118

So, honestly I kind of just randomly flipped through the book and landed on this chapter, and about a page into it I realized I couldn't have landed on a more perfect chapter. This artist focuses on people, and she exposes all of these "realities" about people which of course caught my interest immediately. "As an artist, Wearing adopts the demeanor of a social scientist. She constructs a catalogue of true identities, thereby exposing the distortions inherent in most projections and assumptions. Her work attempts to mitigate the psychological damage most people both cause and suffer." This entire last paragraph, specifically these sentences not only summed up the chapter so perfectly, but it also speaks to what I want to do with my art, perhaps just not in such a "in your face way" that Wearing does (although that's the entire point of her work). The part that I bolded really stood out to me. People don't like to think about how much we affect each other and ourselves, but we really do cause so much damage. We suffer from others and from ourselves. "Confess" really stood out to me in that it showed both ideas of how people sabotage each other and themselves, often simultaneously.
I think simply I related to the content because the pieces were interesting to me on both an artistic level and a human interested in other humans level. I'm inspired to make more subtle pieces similar to these. I'm not sure if there is anything to agree/disagree with necessarily, I wasn't quite paying that much attention? I was just really interested in the idea of secrets and being exposed and how people are so quick to share everything and people are so interested to react to others' secrets because we all like to sabotage and self-sabotage. I hope this made sense and wasn't too rambly?

No comments:

Post a Comment