Friday, March 14, 2014

Week Eight Reading

Inducing Empathy
Tony Oursler
304-313
"Paranoic, demented, tormented, demonic, hallucinatory-any of these words can be used to describe Tony Oursler exhibitions." WHY AM I SO ATTRACTED TO THESE TYPES OF THINGS? I honestly saw the words "tormented" and "hallucinatory" as I was flipping through the book trying to find a reading, and I instantly stopped to read simply based off of this first sentence. I feel like that says a lot about me...and I'm aware that I'm drawn to "psychological disturbances" and I really admire artists that put the extreme on display like Oursler does. There were just so many statements in this reading that I agreed with, with this artist that I agreed with. I think one of the only things that got me was that he doesn't see his work as self-expressionism, but I think to produce things of this nature there has to be at least a little bit of personal experience in it. Overall I'm just fascinated with this artist, I want to see an exhibition now, and I really admire such daring work that forces people to become aware of psychological struggles and how exposed to "horror-sex-violence" that we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment